Want to join an innovative player in renewable energy that is rapidly growing in Africa? Since it was established in 2019 as part of renewable energy frontrunner, Release by Scatec has been developing and deploying a unique, flexible leasing solution of pre-assembled and modular solar and battery equipment for the mining and utilities market. Recently announced funding by Climate Fund Managers will enable our dynamic, young team in its ambition to power and electrify Africa. We are present in several countries in Africa and in the Americas, and are headquartered in Oslo, Norway.
Main purpose of position
Release is looking for an Asset Management Engineer (AME) in Cape Town, South Africa to be part of our global team working together towards our vision – Improving our future. As our Asset Management Engineer you will oversee the technical asset management function, supporting projects that are within the power production phase, including the handovers to and from this phase, as well as managing the technical asset management resources and interfaces that provide technical services and deliverables to the projects in operation.
- Leading the technical asset management function: The role shall establish the technical asset management function within Release as well as coordinating its resources (both on-site and in-office), to serve the technical needs of projects in their power production phase
- Main interfacing party for technical matters: The role shall serve as the main interfacing party between Release, Scatec’s Control and Monitoring Centre (CMC), Release’s site personnel, Release’s clients and Release’s equipment suppliers for all technical matters during the plant’s operational phase. Working together with the CMC, the role will serve as the main technical interface between Release and its client regarding plant operational matters
- Project handover coordination: Working closely with the implementation team, the role shall help plan and coordinate the efficient technical handovers at from the construction phase to the operations phase as well as between the operations phase and the redeployment phase
- Technical assistance to projects in operation: The role shall provide the day-to-day technical assistance to site-based personnel (either Release employed or client resources) within projects during their power production phase
- Plan and orchestrate the Annual Audit Visits: The role shall plan and coordinate both Release’s and the client’s resources to effectively conduct the annual audit and maintenance visits to projects
- Conduct annual plant performance testing: The role will plan and coordinate the annual performance testing that shall be executed on all Release plants
- Authorize MV switching of site teams: The role shall serve as an “authorized person” that implements the ensures safe MV switching practices is followed on site
- Follow-up on Plant maintenance: The role shall plan and track all maintenance activities executed by the site teams (client’s or Release’s), as well as manage the site and global/fleet spare parts stock
- Reporting to management and clients: The role shall regularly report on project operation and performance to internal Release management as well as regular plant performance reporting to clients (together with the CMC)
Important role interfaces:
- Project Engineering: Interaction with the project engineering function will mainly revolve around the project handover phase as well as feedback on continuous improvement of the projects and special design reviews
- Product Engineering: Interactions shall revolve around communicating operational project needs and continuous product and offering improvement from operational lessons learnt
- Control and Monitoring Centre: The role will have daily interaction with the CMC for plant monitoring, technical troubleshooting and reporting on plant operational and maintenance matters
- Procurement: Interaction with the procurement function will entail collaborating on the planning and coordination of material sourcing for spare parts, warranty claims and logistics to operational projects
- Project control: Interaction with the planning function will entail co-planning the operations phase contractual milestones like annual performance testing and annual audit and maintenance visits
- Quality assurance/control: Interaction with the QC function will entail follow-up of all quality issues arising during the project power production phase
- Asset management: Interaction with the asset management function will be to ensure that the technical asset management and overall asset management functions are aligned in their approach to supporting the plants and clients
- Clients/Lessees: Regular interaction with clients for managing the O&M services of the project lease agreements
Qualifications and competencies
- Electrical Engineering Degree (B.Eng)
- 7+ years’ engineering experience on EPC/construction type projects
- 5+ years’ PV technology experience (Battery Energy Storage Systems experience also advantageous)
- 3+ years’ experience in operation and maintenance of plants
- Fluent in both written and spoken in English
- Advanced understanding of electrical engineering and procurement processes
- Excellent understanding of PV and BESS operation and performance metrics
- Advanced understanding of plant monitoring, data acquisition, data analysis, reporting
- Excellent MS Office suite software knowledge and good working knowledge of PDF software
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint, AutoCAD
- Good familiarity with project management tools (project planning) and methodologies
- Good familiarity with PV power purchase agreement type contracts
For the particular role we also expect
- Strong organizational and managerial skills
- Task oriented, prioritization skills, highly structured, systematic, and analytical
- Independent and proactive way of working
- Able to communicate clearly in a professional manner to various internal and external parties
- Able to produce clear written communication (emails, meeting minutes, tasks) and submit to team and management in a structured and professional manner
- Able to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven project environment
- Conflict resolution, people management
- Must be able to work extended hours at times
- Should be available and accustomed to travel internationally to 3rd world and other countries
- French language advantageous
It is part of every Release employee’s terms of reference to contribute to Scatec group’s vision: Improving our Future and adhere to our company values which are:
- Predictable: demonstrate clear communication and listening skills, shares information in an open and honest way.
- Driving results: demonstrate determination, pro-activeness, can prioritise and work independently.
- Changemaker: demonstrate entrepreneurship, can challenge, fast learner, take initiates and adjust.
- Working together: demonstrate teamwork, shares responsibilities, can compromise, has a can-do attitude.
Release, is an exciting, innovative and ambitious company operating in a growing industry. We offer a challenging and interesting position where you will be part of a flexible, diverse and truly international working environment consisting of highly competent and committed colleagues with a positive drive to make a difference.
Release is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by appropriate law.
All hiring decisions are made based on merit, competence and business need.